Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I've got the 'last two kilos' blues

About six weeks ago, I headed off for a check-up with Ginny. I posted about it here, but just to recap ... my jeans were feeling tight and my 'fat-roll-ometer' was registering "warning! warning!" (if that fat roll came with a red light, it would have been flashing). The outcome of that visit was that I needed to take off 3.5kg of fat that had slowly crept up on me while gleefully enjoying free meals and ignoring the fact that my exercise was, well, lacking.

After that Ginny visit, I cleaned up my act; I got back into a regular exercise routine and, as per Ginny's recommendation, cut back my free meals to just one a week rather than an entire weekend of free-wheelin' free meals. And then I went to see her again a couple weeks ago.

My weigh-in and caliper measurements registered a mere 1kg of fat loss; we were expecting about 2.4kg of loss. Sigh. I had been sick and missed about a week of exercise thus slowing down my metabolism - our bodies are designed to hang on to fat during such emergencies. "Plus," Ginny explained, "you only have about 2kg left to lose, that is not much at all and your body is hanging on to that last bit." My body is trying to outsmart me!

So, right now I've got the 'last two kilos blues'. It's like, I am so close to going back to maintenance mode (which will mean a whole day of free meals) that I can almost taste the butter and cherry jam on my toast, mayo on my roast beef sandwich and the last of the lemon slice that I stowed away in the freezer. I have to admit, this morning I stole a bite of my son's crunchy rice toast on which I'd spread butter and Marmite. It just smelled sooooo good, so savoury and irresistible. I was feeling weak and defiant; I was feeling the 'last two kilos blues'. I am just going to have that bite, I thought. So I did.

But if I really want my jeans to be comfortable again and get that mid-section fat roll under control, I need to buckle down and stay on my programme. And, most importantly and somewhat ironically, if I just stay on the programme I *will* get that free day once again!

That was my pep talk to myself to banish these 'last two kilo blues'.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa. What a great post and how interesting how our bodies work. I am sure you lovely son would not have mind you stealing from his food!
    I find dieting the worst, it makes me think of food all day so I am not doing it anymore. I just eat good meals and do not think about dieting at all. So far it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wilma, thanks for your kind words. Sometimes my 'lovely' son does mind VERY much if I eat a bite of his food. LOL! He says, "That MINE!" He must get his food possessiveness from me. ;-)

    I agree, dieting is the worst. I also agree, that if you just eat good meals you don't end up thinking about food all day. :-) I like to think I've gotten past the dieting mentality, but there are times when I feel a bit miffed that I can't get away with a few treats here and there. I'm a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete